Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Show Talk Episode 3


The third episode of Show Talk aired on October 14th, 2013!
See the full episode below:


(We apologize for the embarrassing middle part of the show where Tarantino did not turn off the audio correctly... >_>)

Here are the episode reviews featured on this episode for your perusal:

Most Recently Aired Episodes

ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN S2 EP22 (Harryhausen)
Review:
In the second half of a two part Halloween special, Blade and the Howling Commandoes team up with Spiderman to defeat Dracula. This show is pretty hit and miss, especially the humor, which consists of mostly puns. But this episode managed to sneak in at least one clever comic book reference and featured some of my favorite obscure characters, namely Marvel's take on classic Hollywood monsters that was initially to counter the comic book company EC's line of horror comics way back in the day. Blade is a newer character, but he ties them all together, and is really cool in his own way. The surprise guest Man-Thing was appreciated by me too, since I love that character. It makes me wonder though... is this show getting better? Certainly seems that way.
Rating: 7/10

NASHVILLE S2 EP3 (Tarantino)
Review:
This episode of “Nashville” was amazing!  I absolutely loved the part where Deacon tells the story about a childhood moment of his at the AA meeting.  It was strong and very emotional and I found my mouth agape listening very intently at every word he said during that part.  Scarlet’s stage debut was amazing and I really enjoyed hearing the song she sang.  The ending scene with Juliette and Mr. Wentworth was sadly a bit predictable for me and I can see where they might be going with that story line.
Rating: 9.5/10

WATAMOTE S1 FINALE (Harryhausen)
Review:
In an effort to become more popular, Tomoko kills a cockroach in front of her class, hoping they'll think she's cool, but it just disgusts them. Later, she debates whether or not to talk to "popular girl", Megumi to ask for advice on how to be popular, but ends up running away. The season ends with her laughing at the definition of "Unpopular Girl", because it no longer matters to her. It seems like the trajectory from the first half of season 1 has slowed down a bit towards the end. Part of it is that it sort of falls in the "slice of life" genre, which tends to be slower paced. I also know that they were running out of material from the manga to draw from. Though this episode is slow, it does show how, without realizing it, Tomoko has changed since the start of the show.
Rating: 6.5/10

PARKS AND RECREATION S6 EP4 (Tarantino)
Review:
This episode of “Parks and Recreation” was great!  I loved how they decided to do an episode showing the counterpart’s of some of the characters in the show.  My favorite one had to be Ron’s who also had the name Ron, but unlike Ron he was a vegan spiritual kind of guy whereas Ron is a guy who loves meat and hates just about anyone he meets.  Also in the episode Ann tells Leslie that she and Chris are thinking about moving from Pawnee.  I would be sad to see them go, and would personally like to see them stay in Pawnee.
Rating: 8/10

THE LOONEY TUNES SHOW S2 EP25 (Harryhausen)
Review:
Daffy goes back in time to prevent Bugs from becoming best friends with someone else in the past out of jealously. This episode introduces a new character, who I assume is from Space Jam, but having never seen that movie, I have no idea. He was all around likable and sadly pretty forgettable. I hope he's a recurring character so that I'll remember his name at some point. Other then this disappointing character premiere, the rest of the episode was solid, but kind of one-note. On a show where the humor is usually subtle, (a contrast to the high-octane cartoons of the past), I can forgive it's lack of laugh lines for it's strong character-focused humor, but this episode didn't really live up to standards set by the better episodes of the season.
Rating: 5/10

BROOKLYN 99 S1 EP4 (Tarantino)
Review:
This episode of “Brooklyn 99” wasn’t the best in my opinion and it’s hard for me to even give a small “heh” at the show.  The first episode of the series was good, but the rest is just bad.  You know how it is when a new series is going to air and they show previews for it, and all the clips are from the first episode and they show all the funny bits, then after when they air the next few episodes and nothing in it is really that funny?  That’s how it is in this show.  The only bits I really enjoy are the parts with the police captain.  If Brooklyn 99 wishes to keep my view, then it should get its act together.
Rating: 3/10

Swapped Archive Episodes

WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN S1 EP8 (Tarantino)
Review:
I really enjoyed watching this episode of “Wolverine and the X-men”.  I sort of felt like I might have watched an episode of this before a few years ago, but than again it could have been another X-Men series.  Steve Blum’s voice for Wolverine was fantastic, and Toad sort of reminded me of Cyclonus from Transformers: Armada.  It was nice to see Quicksilver, but I sort of wish I could have seen Scarlet Witch in this episode (If she’s even in the show at all) given the fact that she will be in the upcoming “Days of Future Past” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron” movies, but that’s just a small nitpick of mine.
Rating: 9/10

ALPHAS S1 EP4 (Harryhausen)
Review:
While on the hunt for two criminal Alphas who are members of the Red Flag, the team finds a girl at their safe-house after a raid who can communicate using sounds made from manipulating objects. Gary can understand her, so they make use of this by having her tell him the numbers of the truck the two criminals are driving, but not everything is as it first appears. The more I see of this show, the more I like it. Even though the dialogue can be a little corny at times, the plots and the powers of the Alphas make this an extremely compelling show. This particular episode was the best one I'd seen so far, with a unique power and an interesting twist. It made me want to start watching the show.
Rating: 9.5/10

Shared Episode
(review of the same episode of a show we both watch)

MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. S1 EP3 (Harryhausen)
Review:
A scientist is kidnapped during a unique heist, and the team sets out to take him back. Finally, the show has seemed to settle into its season and is really starting to get good. This episode's opening was perfect, from the twist that the man was really a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent to the unique way the kidnapping was carried out. For those who don't know, this episode featured the origin of the Marvel super-villain Graviton, which was extremely cool to see. I want to see more episodes like this, with obscure villains or heroes getting cameos. The character development in this episode was also really great. And overall the entire episode was fun to watch and a step up from last week. Let's hope that this is the start of an upward arc of quality for the show.
Rating: 9.6/10

MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. S1 EP3 (Tarantino)
Review:
This episode of “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D” was great.  I love how they manage to keep the Comicbook type feel to the series as they did with the other Marvel movies.  I’m glad that the series just isn’t about the S.H.I.E.L.D Agents tracking down other “Unregistered gifted” as I thought it would be based off of the previews.  It’s also nice how they make references to the movies and I was so happy to hear a reference to Coulson’s vintage Captain America trading cards.  I’m sort of tired of people saying Skye can’t be trusted, (Which she can’t) but I guess it’s a little too much to ask being only the 3rd episode of the season.
Rating: 10/10

Combined Rating: 9.8/10

Next Time

The next episode of Show Talk will air on Monday, October 28th (date subject to change), 2013 at 7:30. We'll be reviewing BleachElementary, Ben 10 OmniverseThe MiddleModern Family and Person in Interest, and we'll be swapping the shows Bleach and Parks and Rec. We will then both review Sleepy Hollow. Be sure to tune in!