Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Show Talk Episode 5




The fifth episode of Show Talk aired on November 3rd, 2013!
See the full episode below:


Here are the episode reviews featured on this episode for your perusal:

Most Recently Aired Episodes

BEWARE THE BATMAN S1 EP11 (Harryhausen)
Review:
Batman and Katana team up to stop Professor Pyg and Mr. Toad from attacking seemingly unconnected victims, but there's more to it then at first appears. It was nice to see Pyg and Toad again, I hope they show up in later episodes. The plot for this episode had a twist which was cool, but we've already seen this victim to victim type scenario on the show before, (i.e. Broken). Katana provides a nice comedic relief ala Robin for Batman on the show. As a final note, when will they fix Batman's lips?
Rating: 7.2/10

PARKS AND RECREATION S6 EP5 (Tarantino)
Review:
I enjoyed this episode of “Parks and Recreation” and thought it was good.  In the show, Leslie and Donna face a grilling from the council about an inappropriate Tweet that was posted on the Parks and Rec Twitter page, and Ron and Ben work on getting Ron a real will.  I think I enjoyed the sub plotline with Ron and Ben more than I enjoyed the main one, mainly because of Ron and whatever scene Ron is in is always hilarious and awesome.  Another small sub plotline involved Tom trying to impress a woman by doing crazy and stupid things so that she will like her, and in the end it all works out for him.  I didn’t really care that much for it, but it wasn’t that bad.
Rating: 7/10

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES S2 EP3 (Harryhausen)
Review:
The turtles encounter new robotic Foot Soldiers led by Karai. In order to fight them, they have to unlearn their training and be unpredictable. This episode was pretty straight forward, but it's my favorite of the season so far. There are a few decent jokes and no completely off-putting ones. The pacing felt very smooth as well, and so did the animation. On the other hand, the plot was incredibly simple, and there were hardly any surprises to be found.
Rating: 6.8/10

BIG BANG THEORY S7 EP6 (Tarantino)
Review:
This episode of “The Big Bang Theory” was good, but not one of my favorites.  As the anniversary of Howard and Bernadette’s first date approaches, Howard wishes to do something special so he decides to write a song about Bernadette and have his friends help him perform it.  As I said I this episode wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t one of my favorites mainly because I just wasn’t that pulled into the plotline of the show and the whole thing felt a little fast paced for me.  I enjoyed the jokes in the episode and how Sheldon kept beating himself up about how he was a fraud for making an accidental discovery in science, but other than that it just wasn’t one of the best.
Rating: 5/10

ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN S2 EP24 (Harryhausen)
Review:

S.H.I.E.L.D. gives Sandman a second chance and Spiderman takes it upon himself to train Sandman to be a hero. I liked seeing a different side to Sandman this episode. I felt kind of sorry for him, especially since as his backstory is pretty tragic. But we didn't see that this episode, or anything really game-changing. I know that's an overused word but I would have really liked to see a drastic change by the end of the episode. Instead, it's more or less a reset, which is kind of disappointing. Also, this episode shoved a lot of morals down my throat, especially towards the end, and that always seems contrived. The best part of the episode was the animation, especially the way they animated the sand.
Rating: 4.9/10

Due to scheduling problems, Tarantino was unable to review Parenthood this episode.

Swapped Archive Episodes

AVATAR THE LAST AIRBENDER S1 EP5 (Tarantino)
Review:
I enjoyed this episode of “Avatar the Last Airbender” better than I expected.  This isn’t my first time watching the show, or the episode and I have a very vague memory about watching this one in particular years ago.  I knew right away when I saw the king that he was Aang’s friend from years ago, so there was really no surprise at the end when he was revealed to be Aang’s friend, and I also remembered that the crystal stuff that was incasing Katara and Sokka was rock candy.  All and all, I really enjoyed the show.
Rating: 8.5/10

MONK S1 EP13 (Harryhausen)
Review:
Monk takes his first flight while simultaneously solving a murder case. I'd never seen the show before this, but I'd heard about it. I thought the case this episode was very clever and it tied up all it's loose ends nicely. I actually enjoyed it more then some of the more recent Elementary's cases, because it was much more concise and didn't seem as all over the place. Even though some of the characters seemed to be temporary supporting cast, they were cast really well and were interesting in their own way, which was cool. I don't think I'll forget Warren Beach any time soon.
Rating: 9.8/10

Shared Episode
(review of the same episode of a show we both watch)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN WONDERLAND S1 EP3 (Harryhausen)
Review:
Alice and Will go to find a magical rope called the Forget-Me-Knot, which shows whatever last happened in the place where you look through it. This was my favorite episode so far, aside from the pilot. The plot was clever and interesting, and though it was obvious who Grendel was from the start, (and I don't mean that he was the monster in Beowulf), I found his story surprisingly touching. And I also liked the cameo appearance by one of my favorite Wonderland monsters. There were a few flaws in the episode, but they're mostly nitpicks, like the fact that the Caterpillar looked and acted uncannily like Jabba the Hutt.
Rating: 8.5/10

ONCE UPON A TIME IN WONDERLAND S1 EP3 (Tarantino)
Review:
So far I am enjoying the series “Once Upon a Time in Wonderland” and I like how they put their twist into the series.  I noticed two “Star Wars” references in this episode.  Number 1: The caterpillar reminded me of Jabba the Hutt, how he sat on his ‘throne’ and smoked his hookah, and I sort of felt they made him that way just because he smoked a hookah.  Number 2: While the Red Queen and Jafar were looking through the book of creatures, Jafar said the Scarlac Pit would be a nice choice, which also happens to be the creature Jabba used to try and execute Luke Skywalker.  I enjoyed the twist they put at the end with who Knave’s lover Anastasia, but knew exactly who it was when he was in bed with her and they never showed her face.
Rating: 8/10

Combined Rating: 8.2/10

Important Note!
Next episode, we'll only be reviewing one episode for our episodes of the week section, cutting down on show length. Then, the episode after, we'll be revamping the show, making it shorter, more concise and fun to listen to. And we'll be adding a special new surprise segment as well, so be sure to tune in!

Next Time

The next episode of Show Talk will air on Sunday, November 10th (date subject to change), 2013 at 7:30. We'll be reviewing Parenthood and Elementary, and we'll be swapping the shows Beware the Batman and Modern Family. We will then both review Avengers Assemble. Be sure to tune in!